Monday, May 17, 2010

I'm Just Saying: Controversially Speaking...Brothas Dating 'Becky'

I know you all have heard the endless complaints about Black men preferring White women. Frankly I think it's time to accept the reality that every brotha is not going to go for the sistas. Something very enlightening dawned on me the other day. Maybe it's environmental. Think about it...

Ms. Bougie Jackson and her husband moves to (insert predominately white town) to get away from the 'ghetto' folk only to be surrounded by Caucasians. They have two sons that attended predominately White schools from the time they were in diapers. All of their friends are White. Every girl they study with, eat lunch with, and date are White. It's maybe two Black girls in the whole High School, one looks like sh*t and the other is dating the quarterback at the school, so she's out. What does Jr. do? He dates 'Becky'.
You ask why? I say why not? All he knows, sees, relates to as a youth, and shares interests with is 'Becky'. The bottom line is, you cannot expect a guy who is put in and raised up in an environment with no or very few sistas to prefer or date us. Unless he makes a conscious effort as a teen to boycott 'Becky', which is very unlikely, then the whole 'phenomenon' makes perfect sense.

Now that brings me to a different point. Not all brothas have been brought up in an environmentally challenging town where the 'Keishas' are few and far between. Some just prefer different races. I asked a friend of mine who is a twenty three year old Black male why he preferred to date Caucasian woman. He said that he loves their colorful eyes and the smell and appearance of their hair. The truth is that sistas rarely have blue or green eyes, and it usually takes a weave to get our hair super long, blond, or bone straight. If that is what you prefer, you are not likely to find it in a Black woman.

The bottom line is that I'm tired of hearing the stereotypical reasons why some brothas date outside their race. The truth is, for the most part, Black women are loyal and supportive. Any negative attribute that someone can place on a sista can be found in any race, and vice versa. Truth is, if you WANT to be with a sista you can find one that catches your fancy...that is IF you want it.

My verdict is...you should date whoever makes you happy, because at the end of the day you have one life to live and you should make the best of it. I think people in general need to be more open minded and keep their options open. Thinking outside the box is what made Bill Gates rich. I'm just saying...

What do you guys think?

7 comments:

  1. These are very good points!! Great post sis!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEAH SISTA'S WE DO NEED TO START THINKIN AND LOOKIN OUT OF THE BOX. ALOT OF BROTHA'S WAT CHA TA BE TELL MAMA AND I CAN'T BE DAT CAUSE I'M ALREADY SOMEBODY ELSES MOM. SISTA'S IT'S OK TA THEY SOMETHANG NEW TRUST. LET'S GET IT 2010. LOVE YALL NEW BLOG SITE TWINS KEEP IT GOING COUSINS. SAY THAT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your right I love this post! I didn't even know you ladies had a blog...I'm def. A fan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jamie Thanks cuzzin!

    @Stacy Thanks! Yes, it's a new blog, we've only been at it for about two weeks or so but we're working it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Keishas" and "Beckys"... LMAO! I dont think I've ever heard either of those nomdeguerre. Anyway. You have some valid points. Environment would be a factor for some of us brown guys who prefer caucasian females. I remember at one point for a breif period thats all I was interested in. I totally agree with your 23 yr old male friend. Colorful eyes and the textures of their hair are very appealing. I guess it could be argued that its appealing because its so exotic and almost forbidden.

    I agree with you that all the pleasures and ills of one races' women are the same for all. Sometimes its a matter of what breed of woman accepts a man. Throughout my life I've never gotten the feeling that black women in general were very attracted to me so out of necessity I had to look elsewhere. Regardless of my preferrence. This may be why black women are at the bottom of my list when considering a partner. Its not that I have anything against them, its just that I know I'm not what they desire so I don't go where I'm not welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, NICOLE, most of the black girls I went to school with never showed me much interest and the ones that I had any interaction with either didn't think I was "black" enough or thought me to be too "white" for their taste.

    ReplyDelete

PROVERBIAL MIND CANDY

Proverbial-Widely referred to

Mind-A process that reasons

Candy-Something that is pleasing or pleasureable


"We are here to stimulate your mind with knowledge. If we do that, then we have done our job..."