Thursday, May 20, 2010

Question: When Does Picky Become Superficial?


I often wonder when it comes to men, when does deal-breakers go from practical to just too darn picky. I was once turned off by a guy because I didn't like the way his fingers looked. It sounds ridiculous now thinking back on it, but trust me, if you had seen them you would understand. Thinking back on this guy made me think of an old episode of Girlfriends. On this particular one, the main character Joan was turned off by T.C. from Passions her man of the moment because he had hips so therefore wore a girdle. As I watched that episode I could almost understand her feelings. The thought of seeing my man in a girdle, which is expected to be for women, would definitely turn me off.


While in College I sat a seat over and about three chairs back from one of the basketball players from my school. My friends and I all thought he was fine and I was the lucky one that ended up in a class with him. I would listen to the lecture while slyly giving him the side eye throughout class. My peripheral vision was on point, maybe a little too on point. One day I caught him picking his nose only to fling the nastiness onto the floor. Needless to say, I never viewed him the same. I was turned off.

I imagine there is a limit that varies from person to person of how easily 'the little things' turn them off and in turn make them lose interest. In our conundrum to find a decent mate you would think one should look past certain minute things, but the truth is, we don't. The movie Shallow Hal was a great example of how you can easily miss out on your perfect match because you are simply superficial. I too am guilty of this.

So I want to know...when does picky become superficial?

6 comments:

  1. First of all... You sound like a person with strong Virgo traits. Virgos are known for being a little anal. lol

    However, I don't think "the finger thing" is being too picky. This may sound a little weird, but my experience with reflexology has shown me that the entire body is reflected in the hands and feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, I am a Virgo! lol I guess I can be a bit anal at times but hey...lol I can admit it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know it's off subject, but...loved me some Passions! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think picky becomes superficial when we focus too much on someone's flaws. If you're attracted to that person, and you get along great, then that should be the foundation. If that person eventually turns out to have character flaws that you can't deal with, then I can see how you get turned off. But I think some physical flaws can be coped with unless the chick has a fake leg or something. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm...

    Okay. Homeboy was good looking. Before the booger flinging incident, his LOOKS were the only thing you liked about him. You didn't know HIM yet.

    In this instance, I don't think you being turned off by booger-dude is any more shallow than being attracted to him solely for his looks.

    By the way, flinging boogies is just nasty. That means he has nasty traits. Get a freaking Kleenex! Clean your nose out in the morning to prevent boogerage. To me, flinging boogers is the equivalent of spiting on the floor indoors.

    Or finger-dude. HE was probably a nice guy. Fast-forward to you guys being married. Everytime you go to schnoo-schnoo (sex), you shudder because he puts his weird hands on you. You love him, but you're turned off. Now you're not fulfilled sexually because of this mental block. Sex is on of the top reasons for divorce. I hope his hands weren't THAT jacked up, but I'm just sayin'.

    It's funny we ask ourselves this. Most dudes have no qualms about passing up a girl for pulling a thong out her butt, or an exposed weave track.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @AsiaA Yea, I think he was just plain triflin for doing that mainly because he knew that he sat on the front row of the class. LOL

    Now ole buddy with the fingers, IDK what the dealio was cuz it wasn't anything technically wrong with the fingers, they just scared me I think...IDK but I told my sister to look at them and she said, "UGH!" so...I guess I was on to something....lol

    ReplyDelete

PROVERBIAL MIND CANDY

Proverbial-Widely referred to

Mind-A process that reasons

Candy-Something that is pleasing or pleasureable


"We are here to stimulate your mind with knowledge. If we do that, then we have done our job..."